Turkey Taco Soup

Do you still have Turkey left overs in your freezer from the holidays?  I did, and I wanted to make room in my freezer.  So, I defrosted them and turned them into Turkey Taco Soup! This soup takes very little prep time, aside from chopping up the turkey.

Indgredients:
1-2 Cans Broth, Vegetable or Chicken (I decided to use one.)
1 Can Red Gold Chili Ready Tomatoes
1 Can Corn Drained
1 Medium Onion Chopped
1 Can of Black Beans Drained
1 Can of Tomatoes and Chilis
1 lb Turkey Chopped
1-2 Tbs Chili Powder (Can be less if you want it less spicy.)
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Ancho Chili Powder
1 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper

Canned Ingredients
This soup is one of those catch all soups.  I find the things in my pantry that will go in it, and throw them in.  These are common canned goods I keep in my pantry "just in case!"
I start by chopping of the left over turkey and throwing it in the pot on medium heat with the chopped onion.  I cook these until the onion starts looking translucent.   I then start throwing in all of my canned goods and mix this all together. 
 


Adding Seasonings
 After all of this is in the pot, I start adding my seasoning.  CAUTION: Watch how much of the seasonings are added.  I accidentally added a little too much cayenne, and the soup was really spicy! After the spices are added, I let the soup simmer for around 15 minutes, so the flavors have time to mingle together. It can simmer for an even longer time, if you want. You can always taste test as you go and add more seasonings if needed for your taste. 


 Ready to Serve
After the simmering of the soup is done, it's ready to serve!  This soup can be served with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream.


Turkey Taco Soup is Served!
This soup is a great soup to serve on a cold day.  It will really warm you up!  In fact, I should have taste tested this more along the way.  It came with some heat!  If you want, you can skip the cayenne pepper completely.  That's the fun with cooking.  It's an science experiment you get to taste a long the way!

Comments

Popular Posts