Turkey Pot Pie

After a holiday, do you have a lot of turkey left over?  This year, I did.  So, I froze a lot of it.  This time with the left overs, I made a Turkey Pot Pie!

Ingredients
1 Pie Crust (Uncooked)
1 Can Corn Drained
1 Can Green Beans Drained
1-2 Cups Chopped Turkey
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup (Or Mushroom, Celery, whatever you prefer. I used Healthy Choice.)
2 Tb Milk
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder to taste

*Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Prep time: 20 minutes  Cook time: 30-45 minutes

The Basic Ingredients 
Chopped Turkey
I started by chopping up some left over turkey.  I've had this in my freezer since Thanksgiving, so, I decided I needed to use it up! 
Ingredients in the Bowl
I drained my vegetables and poured them in with the turkey.  I poured in the can of soup and added garlic powder and pepper.  *I never add salt while I'm cooking, unless the recipe calls for it.  Since the soup already had salt in it, I didn't add any this time.  You can use any veggies you want too!  These are what I happened to have in my pantry.  I added the milk next.  I mixed it all together.
The Guts of the Pie
This is what the ingredients will look like mixed together.  They shouldn't be too watery. 
Pan/Crusts/Guts
The crusts I used say, "Get out of the fridge and let sit for at least twenty minutes before using."  I did that. Also, it says not to grease the pan, so, I didn't.  
Bottom Crust
I put the bottom crust in the pan.  I didn't do it in any special way. 
The Guts are in the Pie
I put the entire contents of my bowl of turkey, soup, and veggies into the pie.  It looked like it was too much, but it all fit! 
Top Crust
I put the other crust on top.  First I pinched it with my fingers, and then, I took a knife handle and went around it. 
Oven Ready
After I went around the pie with the knife handle, I cut a couple of slits in the top to give a place for the steam to come through. Bake this on top of a cookie sheet in case it starts to run over.  You don't want your oven to get burned guts in it! 
Put in the oven for 30-40 minutes. *I failed at realizing how long this was going to take to bake.  I originally put it in for 9 minutes, following the pie crust instructions.  It wasn't even close to being done!  I ended up leaving it in for almost 40 minutes.  
 Protecting the Edges
I realized that the edges were starting to get too well done, and the center wasn't getting cooked.  I added foil to the edges to protect them for the last 15 minutes of cooking.  You can do the opposite, and start with the foil on the edges and take it off toward the end of the time.
It's done!
When it finally got done, I took it out of the oven and let it set for 10-15 minutes.  Then, I served it!
Cutting It
Be prepared for the guts to spill out a little bit when it's cut.  This just happens!  This pie serves up to six people.  It was a pretty easy thing to do with left over turkey.  It can be made with chicken also.  
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!   










Comments

Popular Posts