Joy Yee: Eating Chinese in Chicago's China Town

My friend Melanie and I went to eat dinner in Chicago's China Town.  We chose a restaurant called Joy Yee.
The Menu
The menu was huge and slightly over whelming!  The listings in the menu were extensive, from dinners with pictures, to their famous smoothies. 
Mango Smoothie with Tapioca
The big thing this restaurant is known for is their smoothies!  The first three or four pages of that huge menu were smoothie flavors. You can get just about any fruit and/or vegetable in your smoothie! I got a mango smoothie with tapioca.  This was a new experience for me. I love fresh mango, but I forgot how stringy it is.  I kept trying to pull the strings off of my tongue.  The tapioca was interesting.  I know the texture, but it's different when it's part of your drink. The taste was awesome!  My problem is, I'm a texture person, and textures can get to me when eating.  
Crab Rangoon and White Rice
We ordered a large appetizer of Crab Rangoon to share, and somehow, this is the only pic I took of it.  It was really good!  If I go back to Joy Yee, I will order the Crab Rangoon again!
Hot and Sour Soup
As I've stated before on this blog, I judge a Chinese Restaurant by their Hot and Sour Soup.  Joy Yee's did not disappoint!  The only problem, this bowl of soup was MASSIVE!  I didn't realize that until it came to the table.  I could have just eaten the Crab Rangoon and the soup by itself, but I had already ordered a main dish.
Melanie and her Shrimp Curry
Melanie ordered the shrimp curry.  As you can see, the bowl is really that big!  We could have gotten one meal to share.  I didn't know this.  Maybe the server could have mentioned it.  
Sweet and Sour Chicken
I ordered the sweet and sour chicken.  I really enjoyed that this dish had peppers, carrots, and pineapple in it.  The sweet and sour sauce was a good flavor.  It had a little bit of a kick to it, like maybe a pinch of Cayenne in it. Or maybe I just imagined that! 
If I end up in Chicago's China Town again, I will eat here!  Maybe next time, I'll just get one main dish and share it, or just get the crab Rangoon and the hot and sour soup.  I would try a different flavor of smoothie, like strawberry. 
I give Joy Yee 2 and a half pizza pies out of four.  The servers were nice, but could have been more informative.  The food tasted good, it was just A LOT!  






Comments

Popular Posts