Fried Steak

I buy meat when it goes on sale or "Manager's Special" at the grocery store and throw it in our freezer. I couple weeks ago, I found a package of two steaks for a little over $6. I decided on Sunday to defrost them and make them for dinner.
Ingredients:
Steaks- As many as you need. I had two large. We probably could have shared one they were so big.
Garlic Pepper
Seasoned Salt
Worcestershire Sauce
Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
I placed the steaks on a cookie sheet with edges to keep every thing "clean" on the counter. I had to defrost these in the microwave, and that's why they look a little brown on the edges.
Sprinkle on a good amount of the Garlic Pepper and Seasoned Salt. Just a few shakes of the Seasoned Salt is enough. I tend to use a TON of Garlic when I cook!
Then, pour on about 1/4-1/2 cup of Worcestershire Sauce. Let sit for a few minutes. While doing this, put a skillet on the stove on medium heat.
To get the seasoning and Worcestershire Sauce flavors in faster, start poking with a fork or pokey meat mallet. I went with a fork this time. Don't be gentle! Do this multiple times until you can see that fork holes in the meat.
After poking, flip the meat over on the tray. Let rest for a few minutes.
Add more of the seasonings and start poking with the fork again.
After you feel you have sufficiently poked the steak and gotten the seasonings through the steak, pour about 2 tbls of oil into your hot pan. Let that heat up for about a minute or two.
Stick a steak in your pan. Be careful that the pan isn't too hot. Even though you want to get a good initial sear on the steak, if the pan is too hot, the seasonings will burn. This is what happened to me when cooking this steak. I had the heat a little above medium, and the pan got too hot. Cook the steak on this side for about three minutes.
Flip the steak over, and let cook for another three to four minutes, depending on how done you want your steak. This steak cooked to about medium.
When the steak is cooked to how you want it, put it on a plate and let it rest for a few minutes. Since both of my steaks didn't fit in my pan, the first one rested while I cooked the second one.
This is the second steak cooking. You can definitely tell by the look of my pan that it was originally too hot. I also put the left over seasonings and Worcestershire sauce from the cookie sheet in the pan with this steak, and that burned to the pan a little.
Let the second steak rest a little too before cutting and/or serving it. The steak itself was not burnt. It was the seasoning. If that bothers you, the seasonings can always be scraped off. Honestly, I like things a little well done.
Serve with your favorite sides! I served this with green beans and fried potatoes. I'll share how I made fried potatoes in a future blog.
That brings me to a different topic: Food doesn't need to be perfect! My husband has always worried that he is going to ruin something if he doesn't follow a recipe exactly. I, on the other hand, am pretty experimental with food. A dash of this, a pinch of that, never bothers me. What's the worse that can happen? You have to order pizza or make a can of soup instead? Remember, it's just food. I'm not saying to be wasteful. Not at all. I'm just saying, don't be afraid to try new things in the kitchen!







Comments

Popular Posts