French Onion Soup

For some reason, every time I've been out at a restaurant lately, and they have French Onion Soup on the menu, I've ordered it. Finally, I decided I would try and make it at home.  It turned out really well!

Ingredients:
2 Medium Onions Sliced
3 Cloves Garlic Sliced
2 Cans Beef Broth
1 tsp. Sweetener (I used Spenda.)
3 Tbl. Olive Oil
1 Bag Shredded Cheese (I used Mozzarella. I also didn't use the whole bag, though it was tempting!)
1 Loaf French Bread Sliced and Toasted (I used a loaf of Pillsbury French Bread.)
Non-Stick Spray
Seasonings: Garlic, Lemon Basil (Pampered Chef), Pepper
Onions Cooking
To start, I put about two to three table spoons of olive oil in my pan warmed on medium heat. Then, I through in my sliced onions and garlic.  I let these cook on a medium heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring them occasionally.
Pillsbury French Bread
While the onions were cooking, I baked a loaf of Pillsbury French Bread.  This stuff comes in a can, and it tastes AMAZING!   I bake it every time I'm going to make pasta!  You can buy an already made French Bread, if you prefer.
After the bread is baked. I sliced it and stuck it back on the cookie sheet.  I stuck it back in the oven to toast a little bit.  
Caramelized Onions
The onions are done when the start looking translucent and are flimsy.  About five to ten minutes before I'm going to take them off of the heat, I put in the table spoon of sweetener.  I let them finish cooking with the sweetener. 
Onions with Beef Broth
After the onions were finished, I added in the cans of beef broth and the seasonings and let them simmer for about ten minutes. 
I poured the soup into an oven safe dish.

I put the sliced bread into the soup.
I put cheese on top of it all. I didn't use the whole bag of cheese, but we really like cheese.  So, it was available if we needed it!  I stuck this under the broiler for about ten minutes to melt the cheese.
When the cheese is melted on top, this is ready to eat!  I read a few recipes that recommend putting the individual servings in their own separate baking dishes, but  I don't have small oven safe dishes to do that.  So, I cooked the whole thing together.
French Onion Soup Served
This turned out really well.  I read a few recipes online, and then, improvised with what I had in my kitchen.  This was a little on the time consuming side, because it took around forty-five minutes to make, but the turn out was worth it!  Also, you probably don't want to have left overs, because the bread gets soggy as it sits.  We ended up finishing the whole pan!  It was so good, I think we'll be having this for dinner again in the near future!






Comments

Popular Posts