BD's Mongolian Grill

BD's Mongolian Grill is a restaurant that has been around for quite a few years.  The general idea of a Mongolian Grill is that, you go to a buffet style table with raw ingredients, and pick out what you want.  Then, you pick out your sauce or seasoning.  After that, you take it up to a counter, where a staff member cooks it for you.
I'll state this up front: I am not a fan.  But I'll get to explaining that later.
In the beginning, when Ian and I first started going there, I would do the whole bowl thing, and wait for the person to cook my food.  I don't do that anymore. It never turned out tasting the way I thought it should.  Friends recommended I started using the recipe cards, but I may as well cook at home if I'm going to use a recipe!
The Huge Line
There always tends to be a huge, long line to get the food cooked.  This night, there were about 30 people in line waiting to get their food cooked by a staff member.  For me, I would be in tears by the time my food was ready to eat, because of the time it took to stand in line and how far past hungry I would be.  One time, we went with Ian's friends.  By the time I sat down at the table, it had taken so long to get my food, I was holding back tears!  I'm sure this group of friends thought I was just being a witch with a capital B for not talking to them, but I'm sure my blood sugar was so low, I couldn't function.  I wasn't prepared for that to happen, since it was my first time ever experiencing BD's Mongolian Grill.  Now I know, if I want to stand in line and wait for my food to get cooked, I have to eat a snack before I go.  My current choice in this situation is to get appetizers.  Then, I can happily sit and drink my Coke while the food is being made for me!
The Rice Bowl
The first thing the server will ask is, do you want brown, white, or fried rice to go with your stir fry.  You can also ask for tortillas. 
Brown Rice
Ian ordered brown rice to go with his stir fry. The rice is usually of a really good quality.  If you order the fried rice, it costs extra.
Ian's Stir Fry
Ian made his own mix for his stir fry and didn't follow one of the recipe cards. He said, this night, the stir fry wasn't that great.  When you get your food, there are all sorts of things you can add to your stir fry.  There are all sorts of vegetables, a few pastas, and you can even add an egg to it. There's also a salad bar and soups to choose from.
My Order of Egg Rolls
When I go, instead of the stir fry, I order appetizers as my meal. I usually order the egg rolls and the chicken tenders.  They have other items like, Wham Bam Shrimp, Pot Stickers, Nachos, and Wings.  I really like egg rolls in general, and the ones at BD's are pretty good.  They are deep fried, and they come with a really flavorful soy sauce with some other things in it. These are some of the better egg rolls I've gotten out at a restaurant.
Chicken Tender Appetizer
I order the chicken tender appetizer as my meal when I go.  I usually stick with the Ranch Dressing as my dipping sauce. This way, I'm getting some protein, all be it fried protein, but it's protein!  The chicken tenders are a really good white meat.  They have a nice breading, with a little bit of seasoning.  They are really good!
If you are a person that cares about nutrition, this would be a hard place to judge!  You get your own ingredients. Unless you are really good at eyeballing how much of something you have or take a little scale with you, you won't know how much of something you have.  Here's the BD's Nutrition Guide. 
(I looked at the Nutrition Guide for over 15 minutes, and still never found the appetizers listed on it!)
I know people love BD's Mongolian Grill and other Mongolian BBQ's, but I'm not really a fan.  Remember the old Steak 'n Shake commercials that call some restaurants "Workaraunts?"  This is definitely what I would call BD's.  If you don't mind that about this restaurant, then, you'll enjoy BD's.
The big thing for me is THE NOISE LEVEL!  It is WAY TOO LOUD!  The Master Grillers are banging their knives on the grill constantly and yelling things at each other.  Then, on top of that, they play music!  They also bang on a gong to announce things, like Birthdays.  The noise level is way too overwhelming for me!  This may mean I'm turning into an old lady, but I hate it!  By the time I've stood in line to get my food cooked for me, that I had to pick out, I'm starving to death, and the noise level is that loud, I usually end up in tears and hangry!
BD's does do nice things, like fundraisers for community groups.  Even my choir has done one there before. The manager was very kind and helpful that day.
I would give BD's Mongolian Grill one pizza pie out of four.  I don't like the loud atmosphere.  I don't like waiting in line for my food to be cooked.  I hate having to feel like I have to work for my food. It all stresses me out!  My food never ends up tasting like I think it should.  I would prefer a regular Chinese buffet that the food is already cooked, or making my own food at home.  
  

Comments

Popular Posts