Corn Chowder Like Boma's in Disney World

I found a recipe that claims it's the Corn Chowder recipe from Boma in Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.  I've been looking for this recipe every since Ian and I went there in November in 2011.  I even asked the server if I could have the recipe, and he said, "SURE!" Then, he never gave it to me!
I got this recipe from here!

Ingredients:
2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and diced
1 pound Russet Potatoes, cooked and diced
2 cups Corn Kernels (frozen)
1/8 cup Onion, diced
1/8 cup Red Bell Peppers, diced
1 cup Chicken Stock
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 cup Milk
2 t. Sugar
2 t. Hot Sauce
1/8 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube

Ingredients
I didn't really need all of these ingredients by the time I got done, but this is every thing I started out with.  This soup took a lot more food prep than I was prepared for.  By the time the potatoes and chicken were cooked and chopped, and all of the other veggies were chopped, I was just about done! Before I even started, I realized, I had the wrong kind of chicken and my chicken was still frozen. I had to go to the grocery store and buy chicken breasts.  I also realized, after the prep, it still had to simmer for 40 minutes.  By then, Ian and I had cupcakes for dinner from the Flying Cupcake!
So, after going to the grocery store, I got started on the chopping and cooking of the potato and cooking the chicken. 

Boiling the Potato
I used one gigantic Russet potato.  I chopped it into cubes and put it in the pot. I put enough water to cover all of it and boiled it for around twenty minutes.
Boiling Chicken
I put the chicken in a pot with about two cups of water and started boiling it.  This took a little over twenty minutes to do.
Chopped Veggies
While the chicken and potato were cooking, I chopped up my onion, red pepper, and parsley.  The recipe only calls for 1/8 cups of these things, and as you can see, I had way more!  These bowls each measure a cup.  
"Chicken Stock"
I took the chicken out and cut it into cubes. In the water I had boiled the chicken in, I threw in the bouillon cube and a Knorr's condensed chicken stock package.  After I threw in the Knorr's condensed chicken stock, I realized that the package says "Equals Three Cups of Stock!"  Oops!  I probably should have noticed this and just used my can chicken broth, which I didn't end up using. I let the cube and stock dissolve into the water. 
I drained the water of the potato. 
Simmer Down Now!
I put all of the ingredients in the pot with the chicken stock except for the parsley.  The directions on the recipe say to simmer for 40 minutes.  I set a timer in twelve minute increments to remind me to stir it.  I would recommend putting a lid on it at this point.  I did not do that and lost a lot of the soupy fluids. 
Adding Fresh Parsley
After the 40 minutes of simmering, add in the 1/8 cup of fresh parsley.  I may have added a little much.  Mix this in and let it simmer for five more minutes. 
Corn Chowder
This is what it looked like right before I served it.  I don't know if it's because I didn't have a lid on it for the 40 minutes of simmering, or that I didn't have enough water or milk int it, but it wasn't very soupy.  I also think using the Knorr condensed stock gave the chowder a saltier flavor.  I remember the Boma chowder having a really sweet flavor to it.  I would recommend trying it with exactly the right amount of chicken stock. 
This corn chowder turned out really good!  Not exactly like the Boma corn chowder, but still, this had a great flavor!  I'm going to make it again some time and try to be more exact on my measurements. I might skip the parsley too.  Even though the parsley didn't make it taste bad, I don't remember that being in the Boma Corn Chowder when I had it.


 

Comments

Popular Posts