Saltine Cracker Toffee Bars: Or the Cell Phone Incident

I decided to try a recipe that I had seen on Pinterest.com. It involved a total of 4 ingredients, so, it couldn't be that hard, right?
The original web site that I got the recipe from is here!
That blogger calls them "Saltine Cracker Toffee Bars."
When I bought the ingredients to make them, Ian saw them and thought they were a little weird. I just responded, that the recipe seemed super easy, and I was going to try it!
Ingredients
Saltine Crackers (I used a little over a half sleeve.)
1 Cup Butter (The Real Stuff)
1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
Chocolate Chips (I used a hole bag of milk chocolate chips.)
*Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Brown Sugar and Butter
First, I put the brown sugar and butter in a pan on the stove at medium heat.
Saltines Lined Up in Pan
I used an 9X13 cake pan, sprayed it with cooking spray, and lined up my crackers.
Brown Sugar and Butter Mix
The instructions of the original recipe say boil for three minutes. I thought I had done this, but the toffee was still a bit on the grainy side. 
Toffee Poured On Crackers
Next, I poured the HOT toffee (Be very careful!!!) on top of my saltines.  And this is when they tragedy happens! As I was trying to take pictures of the HOT toffee and spread it out before the toffee cooled too much, I dropped my cell phone in the toffee!!! I immediately started yelling at Ian to come help me! I also burned my fingers on the toffee while trying to save my poor cell phone! 
Luckily, I had a cover on the back on my phone, and it got most of the toffee coverage! While Ian tried to save my phone, I tried to save our toffee dessert! 

I finished spreading the toffee on top of the crackers. 

I then poured the entire bag of milk chocolate chips on top.  

I stuck it in the over for about ten minutes to melt the chocolate chips. 

Then, I spread out the melted chocolate chips with a spatula. We waited for it to cool a little, and then, we dug in! 

These are an interesting little treat. I feel like the saltines mostly created texture. I don't think there would be a huge difference in taste if I skipped them. The taste of this dessert reminds me of a Heath bar.  The crackers even help give it a texture more like a Heath bar. In total, it took about 20 minutes to make this dessert from start to finish. 
I don't know if I would make this again, or just buy a Heath bar to satisfy the craving.
*I meant to post the final pictures off of my camera, but now I can't find them! I'm just going to go ahead and post this anyway! 

Comments

  1. There is a good toffee recipe in the Pechin Family cookbook. I have used it a lot. It doesn't have crackers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this was supposed to add a textural aspect to it. It reminded me of a Skorr bar.
      I would love to try the Pechin recipe. I don't think I have that book.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts