Giordano's Pizza

In December, we made a trip to Giordano's pizza in downtown Chicago.  This place famous for it's original Chicago Style pizza. In fact, Jenny McCarthy has it shipped to her in California because it is her favorite!  Recently, I read that Giordano's is filing for bankruptsy.  The lull in the economy has hit the company hard. 

When you order a deep dish pizza, either get there before you are going to get hungry, or order cheese bread.  We ordered cheese bread.  It takes the Chicago deep dish pizza over forty-five minutes to bake.


This is the Pizza my niece and her boyfriend ordered.  It had green peppers and some other things on it.  I didn't try any of it, but it looked really good!


Ian and I ordered close to our usual, but Giordano's doesn't have regular old bacon, only Canadian Bacon.  Our pizza had tomatoes, mushrooms, and sausage.  I was really bummed that they don't have bacon.  As my niece and I always say, "We love to eat the little piggies!"  I'm sure the vegetarians are going to hate us for that one! The ambiance of the restaurant is very Italian old style.  See the checkered tables?
When I lived in the greater Chicago area, I probably had Giordano's a total of maybe three times.  It was so good, but not really in my budget. It was always an event to go out for it. 

The Chicago style pizza has crust, then cheese, then tomato sauce, and then, the toppings.  This picture is to show the huge slices of fresh tomato on top, which were awesome!

In the deep dish style, there is a ton of cheese.  I love cheese, even though I am lactose intolerant.  After the forty-five minute wait and our cheese bread, the pizzas arrived at our table.  We dug in!  The crust is pretty delicious. The cheese is quality mozzarella. The sauce has a really good crushed tomato texture and a nice amount of Italian seasoning that makes it a hearty marinara.  The toppings are fresh except I really hope that they would add bacon to their plethora of toppings to choose from.  The sausage has Italian spices in it. 
I give Giordano's Pizza, the God Father of Chicago Deep Dish, three and a half pizza pies out of four pizza pies. 
The next time you are in the Chicago area, I would recommend stopping in and trying this pizza for dinner.
Here is their web site.
http://www.giordanos.com/

6/4/14- Edit: In recent news, we found out that Giordano's is opening an Indianapolis location! We are really excited and can't wait! 

Comments

Popular Posts